Yoga and Diabetes
Treatment: While treatment with insulin is a part of most treatments, yoga for diabetes has been found to be extremely effective. Exercise for diabetes has always been recommended by doctors and these yoga poses offer a wonderful two-way benefit. Yoga calms the mind, reduces stress and exercises all parts of the body, leading to better circulation and increased energy level.
The following yoga poses are recommended:
- Sitting Crane Pose (Paschimottasana)
- Standing Crane Pose (Padangusthasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Plough Pose (Halasana)
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Grasshopper Pose (Shalabhasana)
- Wind Relieving Pose (Pavanmuktasana)
- Spinal Twist (Ardha-matsyendra)
- Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
- Sitting Pose of Firmness (Supta Vajrasana)
- Bee Pose (Bhramari
- Wheel Pose (Chakrasana)
- Yogic Symbol Pose (Yoga Mudrasana)
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskara)
- The Abdominal Squeeze or Udiyana Bandam is also effective.
- Corpse Pose (Shavasana)
Exercise for DiabeticsYoga and diabetes have a long and positive relationship but certain guidelines must be observed during the performance of these poses. Yoga is a discipline and it is necessary to learn the poses from a qualified expert. Since yoga is a total union of the body and mind, the patient must approach the practice of yoga in a holistic manner. The patient must realize that diabetes is a manifestation of physical as well as emotional, spiritual and intellectual imbalance. It is necessary to realize the need for need a lifestyle change.
- Begin your yoga program with simple exercises to test your tolerance and physical fitness and slowly move on to the more complicated poses.
- Monitor your glucose levels throughout the program, and alter your medical dosage as you progress. You may have to reduce the dosage as the postures prove effective.
- Practice the exercises in the morning and evening. Each session should be between 40 to 60 minutes.
- Do not exert yourself. Take care to perform all the poses smoothly and slowly. Gently stretch your joints and limbs. When you are compressing the abdomen, make sure that you do not strain yourself.
- Maintain each posture initially for only 5 seconds, and graduate to longer durations of one minute, only after repeated practice.
- Keep your eyes closed and focus completely on holding the pose and also on your breath. This will ensure the proper release of tension and stress from the body.
- Thin and lean patients can start with Pranayama and relaxation poses, while obese patients should start with Pranayama, bhastrika and other cleansing poses.
- If you feel fatigued at any point, lie down and perform the Shavasana to relax the body.
Diet Changes: It is essential to incorporate diet changes for yoga to be effective in diabetes. Follow the diet plan as per your doctor or nutritionists instructions.
Some References: Diabetes Daily Care - Highly Effective, Safe, Natural Treatment for Diabetes.
Permanent Diabetes Control - A new diabetes-control treatment stabilized blood glucose levels, insulin dose cut by 60%, hemoglobin A1c dropped from a high-risk 12% to a stunning 6.2%, and reversed critical heart disease without surgery. Also visit our diabetes shop.
My-Diabetes-Shop - Buy Diabetes Products Incredibly Cheap Through Our Diabetes Shop: diabetic testing supplies, A1c monitors, cholesterol & blood pressure monitors, diets, cookbooks, sugar free product, medications, natural remedies, diabetic socks & shoes, insulin supplies, exercise equipment, calorie counters, and others.