What is Obesity?
Obesity refers to weight gain caused by a build up of fats in all parts of the body.
Medical experts have worked out a standard chart taking into account age, weight and height. People who weigh more than 10% of their normal weight are usually termed obese.
Symptoms of obesity:
- The body looks shapeless
- Balance is affected
- Extreme obesity can even make it difficult for people to move about.
- Reduced physical movement increases lethargy and reduces overall efficiency.
- Obesity sometimes results in blood pressure, heart problems and diabetes.
- Obesity can also create obstruction to the breathing process.
- Wrong food habits would include excessive eating, consuming too many calories, eating refined, fried and greasy foods, and not eating sufficient fresh foods and foods rich in dietary fiber.
- A sedentary lifestyle with no exercise or physical activity can also lead to obesity.
- Sometimes, faulty digestion, emotional stress or mal-function of the endocrine glands especially the thyroid gland can also result in weight gain.
- Yoga has been bound to be very beneficial for obese people, by helping them to lose weight effectively.
- The exercises of yoga require movements such as stretching, twisting, bending and balancing. All this helps to lose extra calories.
- The physical movements stimulate the abdominal organs such as the stomach, liver, spleen and pancreas, thus improving digestion. Better digestion can help reduction of weight.
- Yoga also stimulates the heart and lungs, increasing intake of oxygen, which is circulated by the heart to all organs of the body. The increased oxygen leads to enhanced energy for physical activity, which in turn can lead to greater weight loss.
- With more oxygen being supplied to all the internal organs, they are able to flush out harmful toxins, leading to weight loss.
- Yoga also helps to strengthen and tone muscles, leading to greater physical activity.
- Westward Facing Forward Bend (Paschimottasana)
- Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana)
- Plough Pose (Halasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
- Hero Pose (Veerasana)
- Half Spinal Twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
- Practice the yoga exercises for obesity daily.
- Include more fiber source such as fresh fruits and vegetables in your meals.
- Reduce intake of sweet foods, fried foods and foods with too many calories.
- Stick to meals at regular timings.
- Do not overeat.
Some References: Yoga Wear - At Divine Goddess believe that many people not only want to feel good from their practice of yoga but also look good. We have created stunning and eye catching products that makes up your accessories range.